Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Moneyball

Amy Pascal is talking about why she pulled the plug on 'Moneyball' 5 days before it was set to shoot. You can read it over here.

Carson Reeves wrote an excellent post about the two scripts. You can read them
here.

Based only on those two articles, I'm going to have to side with Pascal on this one.

Out of the big three, baseball is probably my least favorite sport to watch, but for some reason, I love baseball movies. The idea of this story, written by Steven Zailian, starring Brad Pitt, and directed by Soderbergh sounded darn near perfect (though somehow they needed to squeeze in Kevin Costner. How can you make a great baseball movie without him anymore?).

I'm usually not one to side with the studio exec. I actually have some fascination with stories about studio execs ruining movies (for a really good one, check out The Bitter Scriptreader's interview with Dan Callahan
here).

Sounds like Pascal wanted what I wanted: 'Ocean's 11' meets 'Major League.'

Soderbergh wanted something more realistic. Nothing that didn't really happen with interviews of real people telling their stories.

But when it comes to baseball, I'm more a fan of fiction than reality.

No comments: