Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dragging my feet

Patrick gave me notes on V.E.N.O.M. last Saturday afternoon. I forced myself to e-mail it to him on the 16th. If I hadn't, I would have spent forever tweeking it. I already passed several self imposed deadlines without giving him any pages, but I stuck to the 16th. Spent the day in Starbucks even through a bomb scare, and sent off the PDF just before midnight.

I squirmed for two weeks as I waited for him to read it and get back to me. Finally, we met up, got some BBQ and discussed the script.

Then... nothing.

Other than a few notes I took on the back of an envelope during a concert Sunday, I haven't put pen to paper. Hell, I planned on starting this blog Monday, and now on Thursday, I'm making my first post.

I don't know why I am dragging my feet. The notes Patrick gave me really good and overall quite positive. I mean, if there's a theme in feedback of wanting to see more of certain characters because they worked so well, you have to be doing something right.

I had such a good writing routine while I was finishing off the first draft, but as soon as I hit send, that all went to shit. Don't know why. It's so strange to get positive feed back on a screenplay, especially since the last two I wrote on my own were deemed "unsellable" by people who either do now or have in the past made their livings selling scripts. Apparently protagonists with no motivations or goals and that end up shooting up abortion clinics don't really go over well in Hollywood.

But tonight's the night. I know I've been saying that for the past few days. This time I really mean it. I'm going to Starbucks with a pen and a copy of the script and I'm not leaving until I have at least a solid plan on how I'm tackling this rewrite.

And I did finish my first blog post. That's a start.

1 comment:

Chris Regan said...

Good luck with the rewrite, and thanks for linking to my blog!